Cliches are definitely not my thing =)



I've been teaching my kids how to understand the meanings of phrases and what certain things are implying. We've read about a million quotes and sayings, but I totally skipped over the cliche part of the lesson because I don't understand those AT ALL. Like someone's bark being worse than his bite....ummm- humans don't bark. And a cat's meow?? Yep- no cats around. But the dumbest one is people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones... why would you ever throw stones in your house anyway? So I don't teach that section! But I have found some really good quotes as we've been studying the comprehension packets. These are some of my favorite quotes by Ralph Waldo Emerson-

Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
The best effect you can have on a person is the feeling they have after you've left their presence.
The world can only be grasped by action, not by co
ntemplation.
The reward of a thing well done is to have done it.

What you do speaks so loud that I cannot hear what you say.

Finish each day and
be done with it. You have done what you could and it's over now.
Ev
ery great and commanding moment in your life is the triumph of enthusiasm.
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all that I have not seen.


A glass house with NO rocks =)

4 comments:

Lisa K said...

Yeah, you were always a dumb dumb when it came to cliches. =)

There's a store in Orem called The Blind Man, they sell blinds for your windows. You would always be like, "why is there is a store for blind people? they can't see anything." Ha!

Sister C said...

Hahahaha!!! It's dumb enough that I actually believe I would have said it =)

Gayle said...

I still laugh so hard at the glass house comment! I was there when you said that to the occupational therapist after your accident. She was speechless! The look on her face was priceless! And the funny part is that you are quite logical in your thinking!

Lisa K said...

Aunt Debby and I are looking at your blog and we're highly disappointed that you have updated your blog in a million years.