Seven Pounds


In Shakespeare's The Merchant of Venice, the central character demands the payment of a pound of flesh from those who are in debt to him. The 'pound of flesh' refers to an onerous debt, one that is either unable to be paid (but demanded), one that is far in excess of the amount owed, or one in which the payment is set to adamantly exacting standards.

Before Seven Pounds was released in December 2008, the studio refused to reveal the details of the movie in the early trailers. Now that the movie is out, it's become common knowledge that Will Smith is playing a man who arranges to donate parts of his body ("seven pounds" of his flesh) to individuals in need of transplants, as atonement for the death of seven people in a car accident that he caused. Ben has a debt to repay for the seven lives he took, so the phrase is both metaphorical and literal since the debts are repaid with his actual "flesh".

I wanted to include the synopsis, but that would give the whole story away and I want all of you to watch it. Watch it as many times as you can!! There's one scene that I fast forward (due to my comfort level) but other than that, it is sensational. I want my whole life to be like Will Smith's character and serve others. You'll notice in the movie that he doesn't look for beautiful people, rich people, educated people, or the most healthy people, he chooses the ones who are in need. It doesn't matter what they look like or what they may be guilty of (some of them haven't paid taxes in years), he narrows it down and chooses those with a kind heart. He says several times during the movie, "You deserve it because you are a good person. You heart is pure. If you wonder why I've chosen you, don't. Just be you and live life to the fullest." MAN- if the whole world worked like that!!!! If everything was based on our good intentions and who we really were! I can't wait for the next life!!!! =) I loved the role he played and how he spent everyday getting to know people by serving them, and by serving them he came to know who they really were. I LOVE THIS MOVIE. It makes me want to work harder so that I have more to give others. Then I'll be able to spend my life prioritizing their needs, and not judging them by any other factor of their life. GO WATCH IT!!!!

3 comments:

Lisa K said...

I haven't seen the movie yet. People have told me that they cry in it, so I refuse to see it. I only like happy movies.

Gayle said...

There's nothing wrong with crying Lisa, it's a real emotion.

Gayle said...

Carrie, why is it that I always learn more from you than you ever learn from me? I better see this movie right away!